Friday, November 21, 2008

When You Find Yourself in "The Dip"

I'm sitting here early on Friday morning, November 21, and just had an interesting experience.

I was standing in the bathroom, brushing my teeth, and when I looked in the mirror what I saw upset me... which is wierd because I had just climbed off the scale which read 215.5! Down 23 pounds in 47 days! Yet somehow I felt bad.

Why? Why feel bad after such a great start? I mean, I should be celebrating!

Well, the reason is simple. I felt bad because even though I've come so far... there's still so far to go.

I bring this up because the critical point in any worthy quest is not so much in the 'getting started' phase... it's in the 'keep on keeping on phase' phase - or, as Seth Godin identified in his best selling book, it's what happens when you find yourself in "The Dip"...
  • When you lose the initial excitement...
  • When you get a bit tired...
  • When you realize just how much further you have to go...
  • When you just want to quit and go back home...
I feel like I'm in an Ashton Kucher segment of "Punked"... only I just got "Dipped!"

So, how do you get yourself out of the dip when you experience one? How am I going to get out of mine? Or am I going to quit? After 47 days will I start throwing sabots in the gears of my own machinery?

These are good questions.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rich,

You're doing great! I've really enjoyed reading your blog which is a great example of what one can achieve with focus. I'm sure that people who hear you speak about the experience will be inspired. Keep up the great work and we look forward to celebrating with you in late-December/early-January after we return from Argentina and Antarctica.

Best,
Patrick